Tuesday, March 25, 2008

FET8604- digital natives, digital immigrants ( Prensky, 2001)

One of the best enjoyable articles that I read through this semester is Prensky article, "digital natives, digital immigrants". below is my reply to the discussion regarding this article.
===============
I enjoyed reading Prensky's articles which really struck the chord on me. It's true that learners of this generation find it too difficult to learn from books as we used to do that in our schools and university. I still remember when I was in university I get bored of just sitting in and listening to the lecturer. Most of the time I feel sleepy and not able to focus. However, when some of our instructors try to change the routine by showing us the Movie of the story we are learning about, I pay much attention because I enjoy watching the movie besides understanding the story more than I read it only.
What I am intending to say that when teachers try to use some different methods of technology in class, it helps students a lot to understand the lesson. Prensky has discuss that the new generation are much interested with the video games, computer games, etc and it's the teachers roles to cope with us by trying to use the technology within their teaching by calling them digital immigrant.
I don't know which term shall I call myself with but I was much interested with technology since its beginning. Till now, many teachers and instructors don't like to use the technology within their teaching. For example, the blended learning is much used now in most of the universities around the world because using the online web discussions is an effective way to enhance face to face teaching. However, some teachers are still using the same old technology which is the overhead projector to show some points of the lesson. This kind of teachers do not like changing the methods of teaching although they should be native immigrants.
How about the rest? Have you ever thought about using the blended learning module in your courses? What about the other teachers surrounding you? Do they like to change their teaching method or not?
It will be lovely to have more discussion about this topic because I enjoyed reading this article a lot and it's more great to discuss it here.
Regards,
Laila

No comments: